Monday, April 27, 2009

Yana Demyanchuk interview on her success at Europeans

At the recent European Championships, the Ukrainian team brought home four medals: gold, silver and two bronzes. 15 year old Yana Demyanchuk became the European Champion on balance beam.

How was it possible to win in Milan?

"I think the judges estimated both complexity and quality. Though my routine was initially more difficult. But before the final, my trainers decided to simplify a combination slightly, so that I could execute it better. And it worked, and I was glad! But to be frank, I did not believe that I had won."

Prior to the European Championships, did you have a goal to take a medal?

"I wanted to perform my routines well. If they were good enough, I would get a medal."

After your fourth place in qualifications, did you think about the possibility of medalling in the all around?

"For me the first day was the most important, because the rest of the championship depended on it. I tried to be calm, because after all, it was my first European championship! When I passed the qualification I was more confident. I lost points only in the floor exercise, and I wasn't upset with that - I had achieved the main task - to pass qualifications."

Who were your main competitors?

"Definitely Ksenia Semenova from Russia. Then the Romanians. They are very strong on beam."

You will now prepare for the World Championships in London?

"Certainly. It is certainly the highest level. There will be the Chinese women, the Americans...But I am not afraid. I believe in myself now."

And the World Cup stages?

"I will participate in them. The Moscow WC is coming up, so of course I will go. I have already started to prepare my routines."

What's your usual training regime?

"Twice a day, about six hours altogether."

What do you do apart from study and training?

"I draw, I listen to music. I like the group "Encore", and also foreign music, like Britney Spears."

Yana, you are a native of Ivano-Frankovsk. For how long have you been in Kiev?

"Yes, I was born in Ivano-Frankovsk, and I started gymnastics there when I was nine. I moved to Kiev when I was eleven. Now I study here, in a sports boarding school. When we returned from the championships, little girls met us with posters, and even composed little verses.

How did your parents react to your success?

"They congratulated me, certainly...my mother cried with happiness. I don't think anybody expected such success."

No comments:

Post a Comment