Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Another interview with Ksenia - thanks to Alan who does her website

Ksenia, you have added this prestigious title to the ones you already have - World UB champion, and European UB and BB champion last year. After those successes, many hoped you could win gold in Beijing...

"Then I have disappointed our gymnastics fans, not having been able to pass Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson of America, and China's Yang Yilin."

Unless you weren't disappointed with fourth place?

"No. I performed all my routines in Beijing without falls or serious mistakes. It was my difficulty that was not up to scratch with the main competitors."

Was it possible to upgrade before Beijing?

"For that moment - it was not possible."

Your trainer Marina Nazarov was very much disturbed that in the six months leading up to Beijing you grew six centimetres. Was that the reason?

[I think she says she has had problems since 15yrs old]


To you they assign the phrase - The greater I work, the cleaner will be my lines and it will come easier [?] - you have said this?

"Yes, to the trainers of the national team also, and on seeing the magnificent performance at the Olympic Games of the new champion Nastia Liukin. [....]

You are familiar with her?

"Certainly, our Russian American. I sincerely supported her in Beijing, and wanted her to win. We have been familiar with her for over two years."

[something about Nastia]

"And for me, bars, it is the same! For some reason, I loved the bar exercises since childhood. I have always loved to turn and fly on my hands."

You have been called the "gymnastics child". Perhaps because you grew up in a gym?

"Yes - my mother was a former athlete, and then a coach. I would crawl around on the floor mats from when I was two. I began to take gymnastics seriously at the age of five."

Tell us, Ksenia, when were you last as school?

"In the fifth class, on September 1st. After performing well in the All-Russia Youth tournament, I lived and trained in the Moscow suburbs at our centre, Round Lake. I finished eleventh grade in absentia, so to speak. Teachers come to us, we do lessons, we hand in homework. Actually it can be quite difficult, and sometimes you don't even have time to read a book, or look at the TV. But I have lived many years like this; I'm used to it. By the way, we do get out to the cinema sometimes, with the younger girls. And to take a walk."

When is it possible?

"Ususally when our parents come on a visit. And sometimes we will meet with friends to go to a shopping centre. Because we are normal people, not strange in any way. On the contrary, we know we have a business to which we must give all our energy. For example, I know that I should still be studying. But when you have three intense trainings in one day, you have concentrate on that."

The silver medal in Milan was won by your friend and namesake, Ksenia Afanasyeva. Friendship with your contender in big-time sports is a rarity. And you room together with Afanasyeva at Round Lake.

"And we train together under Marina Nazarov. We have grown up together, training and competing together. I know that without Ksenia, in training and in the national team, it would be very hard."

When you first made a stir at the European Championships last year, in that same competition, Oksana Chusovitina from Germany became the champion on vault. And you were not even born at all when her team won the 1992 Olympic Games. Would you desire the same longevity?

"It is possible only to dream of it! At least, now, when gymnastics is interesting and a novelty. I would like to hope that ahead is a long career, with health and strength...I have five years to think about it! But perhaps I would get bored?...


Sorry about the terrible translation!! Hope you can get something out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment