Monday, April 13, 2009

For RGers...interview with Inna Zhukov, Belarussian newspaper

The silver medallist of the Beijing Games, Inna Zhukov, has retired from her career and become the manager of one of the insurance companies. Especially for this newspaper, she has recounted some of the best times of her career, and admitted that it was hard to become the "present fighter".

Inna, how are you dealing with not training any more?

"Yes, I have got tired of sports. Gymnastics is not longer enough for me anymore. But I do miss those moments when I have done well and people applaud me, and those pleasant times when I went up on the podium."

Would you like to return to gymnastics in a new role, for example, as a coach?

"I don't see myself as a coach. But I may eventually change my mind. At the moment I am engaged in advertising. This is new to me - difficult and interesting."

How are you keeping yourself in shape, now you are not training?

"I do exercises when I can. At the insurance company, all the time, you are sitting and working with papers. It's hard for me - I would rather spend my energy running and jumping. For three months after I retired I was invited to demonstration performances, therefore I had to train. In February and March I participated in the program "Dancing with the Stars". But I didn't get far - there was too much competition."

But now you are allowed to eat sweets now, which you could not before?

"I've never had problems with my figure. I didn't put on 10kg after retiring, as others do. I always ate sweets when I wanted."

In this new season gymnasts will be competing under new rules. What would you like to change?

"I would enter event finals into the Olympic program because I consider it unfair that other athletes can earn several medals, we can only earn one for a complete set (AA). I find it insulting."

At the Olympic Games you were quite reserved. How did you feel when you became the silver medallist?

"For me, the Olympic Games are magical! I always wished to get on the podium in the AA, but I managed it very infrequently. I was always in fourth place, the worst place to be. A lot of people said I was worthy of a medal. Then at Europeans when I was again one place away from the podium, I felt I would rather quit, I told myself: "The Olympic Games is a different competition altogether - there, you will be on the podium." And when, at last, I realised I had taken the second place, I felt I had achieved my dream. I taken away all my other medals, and replaced them with my Olympic silver. All visitors with pleasure are photographed with my award."

How did you manage to cope with the enormous pressure? Also, before one of your exits, there was a problem.

"I knew this would be my last competition. If something went wrong, all there same I should leave with good memories of my performances. I competed with this attitude."

Was it frustrating to you that you were not able to compete with your best apparatus, the ball?

"Yes, it was frustrating. But we tried to create a hoop routine that was similar to my ball one. And it was unique and interesting. Everyone waited for me to catch it at the end. And I felt like in a game of roulette, will I catch it or not?"

[can't understand next question.]

What is your favourite routine that you've performed?

""The Portuguese Rose" which I did in 2007. That beautiful music we later used for a hoop exercise."

What about your favourite move?

"There was a time when it was possible to be original, where there was a bonus for originality. I was the first to perform the "butterfly" jump, which was entered into the rules. I am very proud of that."

You have a lot of costumes in your collection. Which will you keep?

"Yes, I have a lot of them! Usually we hand them down to the younger girls, or sell them. But I would like to keep the ones I wore for the Olympics, because they were made specially."

Inna, your nickname - the Hindu - when did you begin to be called this?

"When I was in Minsk. I was never called by my first name, only the Hindu, or sometimes Zhucha. These are my nicknames."

[question incomprehensible]

"My back problems began when my training increased. I often swore at my coach because of it."

If not for these injuries, would you still be competing?

"My health was a main factor in my retirement. I thought about leaving earlier, but I understood that I had not fulfilled my purpose in gymnastics. That feeling would remain if I had not medalled at the Olympics. But now I am fully satisfied. I am glad I did not retire earlier."

Whom do you wish to thank for your successes?

"First of all my mother who has lived all her life in Krasnodar, but for the sake of me, sacrificed everything and accepted Belarussian citizenship, and supported me in every possible way. I never knew how much she had to give up. My coach, who is like a second mother. I would go to her for help more often than my mother, because I spent more of my time in the training centre than at home. I am grateful to Irina Jurevne who made me somebody when I was nobody [I think], who forced me to believe in myself and brought me up as the person I am. And I am grateful that the state has given me an appartment. It is wonderful when your country appreciates your work."

In sports you achieved your goals. And what else would you like to achieve in your life?

"I would like to have a family, but not straight away. I have many friends here at work, and we go out together every Friday, for a break. Before now, I could not do that. When new people enter your life it is very interesting."

Would you want to meet your future husband in the environment where you are now?

"It could be any person."

No comments:

Post a Comment