Saturday, April 11, 2009

Interview with Ksenia Semenova

"I'm having a rest after the European championships," laughs Ksenia Semenova. "Of course I must go to training, but only short sessions. Maybe I will go to the cinema."

At Europeans, you won three medals. How would you rate your performance?

"About a four. I know I did well, but I'm not completely happy. I could have done a lot better in beam finals. Despite the bronze in floor, I'm not absolutely happy with that either. But the bar final turned out well in the end!"

Nevertheless, you had to concede the UB title to Beth Tweddle...

"Yes, and we competed against each other last year also, at Europeans. Then she made errors, and I won the final. But here, Tweddle's difficulty score was two-tenths above mine. That's a lot. Both of us executed our routines well, but it was the difficulty score that made the difference."

Tweddle is seven years you senior, and more powerful. Does this give her an advantage?

"I don't know. It could work either way. Results come to those of all ages, no matter how many times you have competed. I didn't feel any disadvantage because of my age."

This year you began to train all-around. Has this weakened your favourite event, uneven bars?

"I wouldn't say so; they are at the same level as before. Basically, I trained all-around now, and earlier, but now I am improving the apparatuses that are not as good - vault and floor. I'm still training as much as I did before the Olympics, but it is organised differently.

Was it your decision to train all-around?

"My coaches decided, but I'm happy to do it."

You know that the last European all-around champion we had was Svetlana Khorkina, seven years ago?

"Yes. I know Sveta, and we sometimes communicate. No, she doesn't give me any special advice, just chatting."

Do you like Khorkina's style?

"Yes, but also Tweddle, and Romanians Steliana Nistor and Sandra Izbasa."

Was it hard to begin training again after the Olympics?

"[can't understand] but then I began to train as before. It seems to me that I am now taking gymnastics more seriously."

What relationship do you have with the new senior trainer, Alexander Alexandrov?

"His appointment hasn't changed anything for me. I work with my trainer, Marina Nazarovoj, as before. Alexander Sergeevich, of course, watches our training, and sometimes advises or helps."

How is it possible to combine gymnastics with study?

"Somehow it is possible *laughs*. Teachers work with us at Round Lake, in between training, and I also do homework. I don't know what I want to do after school. I haven't thought about it yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment